Roof restoration process is defined as the process of repainting or re-coating the roof. https://www.epicroofing.ca/ are some of the people that can restore your roof. This process also involves cleaning and repairing the roof. The roof is usually exposed to harsh weather conditions hence, they are victims of wear and tear. There are two major types of roofing systems which include; metallic and tiled roofs. Tiled roofs are divided into terracotta (made of clay) and concrete and barrel tiles. This article covers the processes you can follow to bring your metallic rooftop back to its glory.
Calgary roofers also deal with metallic roofs. Metallic roofs can last up to fifteen or more years; however maintenance is essential. Repainting the roof will give you a chance to assess your roof and do necessary repairs. A bad conditioned metal roof is identified by the accumulation of rust, growth of moss and fungus, faded sheets, holes in sheets and missing or loosened nails. Outlined are some steps you can follow to repaint the sheets.
- Choose a favorable day to restore your roof. A low humidity with a lot of sun will be the best day. This is because the process involves a lot of drying hence a lot of time is required.
- Take all the necessary precautions needed such as wearing rubber soled shoes to avoid sliding, gloves and goggles to protect your eyes and hands. Use a ladder while climbing up and down the roof. Also use a long handled paint brush to minimize your movements on the rooftop.
- Sweep the roof off all leaves and dust particles. Scrape the rusty areas with a wire to ensure that the rust will not reoccur after the restoration. Wash the whole roof area with a pressurized roof cleaning hose and leave it to dry.
- Repair any rusted or broken gutters, fasten any loose roof nails and assess the connectors (the area where the roof meets the walls such as the chimney) and if the cement looks worn out scrape it off with a chisel apply new roof cement. Allow it to dry.
- Use three layers of urethane cement over the rusted areas. When applying each layer, take a huge chunk of cement and apply it over the rusted area, cover the first and the second layer with a metal repair mesh and let it dry.
- Apply a rust resistant premier as an undercoat and let it dry. Next use a water-based metal roof paint that has rust inhibitors. Just like painting a wall, allow the first coat to dry before applying the second coat.